Monday, October 15, 2007

Sleeping…

It is 4:30am and I just put the little one down again and now I am listening to the two f you sleep. I am so awed by love itself. When I first realized that I was in love with you I thought that I would never love so much. Then we got married and I was surprised how much more I loved you as my wife than girlfriend. Now 5 years and two beautiful girls later I can't believe how much my love has grown.


I guess that is the nature of love. It cannot be contained. It cannot be destroyed. It cannot be reduced. Oh I know that the feeling of love, which people talk about, can change. I know that the passion can ebb and flow. However the true love that God teaches never dies. He demonstrates it time and again. God's love never fades. And it is better than anything else. You said it this weekend when you told me that no matter what we might preach about it always comes back to God's Love.


If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. -1 Corinthians 13:1-7 (Msg)


We may not perceive it when we get locked in our sin but He is right there loving us. So as I listen to you sleep. I am reminded of what love is:


Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end. - 1 Corinthians 13:7 (Msg)


I pray that I can love you like that. I want to always keep my mind on the good. Never look back, cover you, protect you, and very give up.


Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.

But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love. – 1 Corinthians 13:8-10;13


I am so glad that I have found a good thing… no, I have found the very best thing of all. I have both the lover of my life and the lover of my soul.


Sleep well,


God's Man

No comments: